(Makes About 40 - Preparation and Cooking Time: 2 hours)
- 125g softened butter
- ½ cup (100g) firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) treacle
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Icing to decorate
- Beat butter and sugar in a bowl with electric mixer until creamy. Beat in treacle and egg yolk, then stir in sifted dry ingredients.
- Knead dough on floured surface until smooth, cover and refrigerate for 30mins.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 4mm thick. Cut shapes using your favourite Christmas cookie cutters. Place shapes on greased oven trays. Bake in moderate oven for10 minutes or until firm (time will depend on the size of the shape). Transfer shapes to wire racks to cool.
- Decorate with icing of your choice.
For a range of Christmas Cookie cutters visit www.christmaselves.com.au/christmas-party-homeware/